ITS–Located at the foot of Mount Gede, Cipanas Palace was originally designed as a rest or transit house. Situated on the side of the mountain at an attitude of 1100 meters, the weather is cool and breezy.
The palace’s premises cover an area of approximately 26 hectares, of which 7760 square meters are used for buildings; the rest is for plant gardens, vegetable gardens and small woods of hard trees.
Historically the name of Cipanas comes from two Sundanese words namely, Ci or Cai, which means ‘water” and ‘panas” for ‘hot”. The village was so named because there is a spring of sulfur-bearing hot water not far from the area. It may not have been a coincidence that the spring is located in the very premises of the palace.
The main building of the palace compounds formerly belonged to a Dutch Landlord and was built in 1740. Since the Governor-generalship of G.W. Baron, this building had been used as the rest palace of Dutch governor-generals. Some other compounds of the palace are Yudhistira Pavilion, Bima Pavilion and Arjuna Pavilion, which were constructed in stages at much later dated and completed in 1916.
After independence, one important event that took place here was a cabinet meeting presided over by President Sukarno on 13 December 1965.
The meeting decided to devaluate the Indonesian Currency from Rp.1000, down to Rp.100.
Besides serving as a rest or transit house, some Dutch governor-generals used it as a temporary family residence. Among them were Governor-generals de Jonge, de Graft and the last one, Van Starkenborgh.
During the Japanese occupation, the building was mainly used as a transit house for Japanese officials travelling from Jakarta to Bandung or from Bandung to Jakarta. Since independence, this palace has been designated for presidential use only